Thursday, February 8, 2007

In reverse.

I started this week by cutting out the drivers side corner and fitting the donor. The hole for the reverse light in my donor panel was non existent because it's from an earlier model bus that wasn't equipped. My original plan was to use the original piece to trace and cut. The thing was so bent out of shape that it was useless for my purposes. So I ended up using paper similar to the thickness of what you would use to print business cards on your printer. Fortunately for me, the holes (right and left) are identical so transferring it over was really simple. I put the paper behind the passenger side holes and traced the pattern on to the paper making sure I properly marked the location of the screw holes and notches. Then I simply cut the shape out of the paper with scissors and taped it to the other side. Then I just traced the hole with a permanent marker and bingo it looked perfect. Something to note. Even though the light holes are on opposite sides, they aren't mirrored. Sort of like brackets on your keyboard.


[ ] = Mirrored (not how you cut them)
[ [ = Not mirrored (how you do cut them)

What it's supposed to look like.
What it did look like.
Paper in place ready for tracing.
The next post shows the final outcome.

No comments: