Thursday, January 11, 2007

Cmmon Baby! You can do it!

New electronic ignition installed. Check.
Gas can hooked up. Check.
Throttle cable connected. Check.
Battery cable attached. Check.

Fingers crossed and key turned. The starter wound up and...nothing. But it sounded better than the last attempt a month ago. It sounded like it had a shot at firing.

Quickly I jumped out and rotated the distributor clockwise a little.

Again at the key with fingers crossed. Starter turned but nothing. Sounded worse. Like no spark at all. Dammit man!

So I run back to the rear again and rotate counter-clockwise past the original starting point.

Crank, hit the gas, and amidst a cloud of blue smoke it comes to life. IT's ALIVE!!! IT LIVES!!! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

Got the engine running yesterday. Sounds pretty strong but there is a worrisome noise. Sounds like a semi-constant "whirring" for lack of a better word. I'm thinking it might be the generator as it didn't sound all that fluid when I turned it by hand when I had the engine out. Either that or there is a much bigger internal problem. Next week I'm going to warm it up and do a proper compression test. If it it checks out, then I'll attach the gear shift and see if the thing will move under it's own power.

Once again with fingers crossed.

No comments: