Saturday, March 17, 2007

In the mean time.

The van was supposed to be done with paint this week. I'm not too upset about the thing being behind schedule because I'm behind the power curve as well. The new completion time is this week before Wednesday.

While it's gone..

I've mounted some tires on my new wheels.

I also had the front window frames powder coated. They look awesome but getting the vent window seals back in is a bitch! My fingers hurt just thinking about it.

I took apart the bumper I got for $35 and stripped it of all the old scale and rust (or patina as some refer to it) and the thing is pitted pretty bad. I'm just going to throw on a couple coats of Rust Bullet and top coat it with some rattle can until I can get a new bumper.

I started to break down the side pop outs and found that the frames aren't worth saving. I managed to break down one frame, replace the seals and get it back together. It's barely hanging on by a string though. I'm not happy with the results. I am, however, out of money. So I'm going to have to live with the old side windows until I save enough to get new frames which I will also get powder coated.

I stopped at the paint shop yesterday on my lunch break and the prep work looks great. The sides look nearly new and the shop appears to have done a wonderful job so far. The only questionable area I saw was the roof which looks worse now that it has been primed and cleaned up. The waves are deeper and more pronounced but I honestly expected that. My budget and time crunch won't allow for it to be properly fixed so I'm just going to roll it however it comes out and be as happy as possible. I may undo all my hard roof work in the future and go with a sliding rag or just glue a whole new roof to it. We shall see.

I was in the garage Wednesday and working on cleaning up some old fried eggs (front signals) that my brother was kind enough to send me (thanks bro) and my wife came out and asked me what I was doing. I held up the old signals for her to see what I was working on. She said, "Eeeeeewwwwwwwww! You can't put those ugly old things on your newly painted bus! Buy some new ones." Everyone should be as lucky as I am.

Work continues. Every time I turn around I think of something else that needs to get done. the list seems endless but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

No comments: